Frame font issues

Subject: Frame font issues
From: "Brian Lindgren" <Brian_Lindgren -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:57:05 -0400

I am editing some documents that were originally created in FrameMaker for
HP-UX. I believe it may have been FrameMaker 5.0. Although I successfully
ported these documents into Frame 5.5 for Windows, there are some character
spacing issues with some basic fonts, such as Times and Arial.

When I print to an HP Laserjet, some of the characters seem ro run together.
On the screen they are fine, and they even convert to Acrobat. We have
several printers in the HP 5 family, and regardless of which I select, some
of the pairs run together. I should mention that most of the kerning is
fine, and the few instances where the type is too tight are random
instances, they do not always occur with the same pairs of letters. The
problems in general also seem more prevalent with word spacing rather than
with letter spacing.

Is it possible that because Unix Frame requires that fonts be downloaded,
there is some garbage code that wound up in the font? Is there a way to
adjust the spaces between the words without adjusting the letter spacing?

Thank you,
Brian Lindgren