RE: PowerPoint vs competition & Flash Questions here...

Subject: RE: PowerPoint vs competition & Flash Questions here...
From: Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:11:43 -0400

Diana,
I, too, was investigating PowerPoint alternatives a few months back, one of
which was DemoShield by InstallShield. I asked our fellow Techwhirlers about
their opinion on DemoShield. While a few people offered stories of positive
experiences with DemoShield, most were negative. Boy, do I wish I'd listened
more to those negative responses! My decision came down to Director by
Macromedia (which can incorporate Flash animations) or DemoShield.
Unfortunately, price became the deciding factor and DemoShield is now
installed on my computer. It has been the bane of my existence in the last
few weeks! OK, maybe that's a little extreme, but it has been the cause of
many late nights in the office and many calls to Tech Support. It contains
more bugs than I have ever seen in a product that's on the market. Our
still-in-development software has fewer bugs! And the documentation is
vague and unreliable (which is, of course, a personal pet peeve). I can't
offer you any input on Director since I haven't actually gotten to use it,
but I can say, "Stay far, far away from DemoShield!" While it does offer
more power than PowerPoint, the headaches it's given me are far from worth
it!

Good luck,
Dannette Thompson
Technical Writer