Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:58:21 +0100

> It depends....

I've worked with Marketing who had a very solid engineering background and knew
exactly what was what. Their view was that tech docs were not their main concern
but they WERE involved in the sign-off process and used it as a basis for the
marketing lit. This was also technical but, being aimed at a slightly different
market, often had a little spin/gloss added to it. Aim was to tell the truth
about the product but do it in a way that caught the eye - one fisherman
described it as a bit like making flies.

Once hooked, the real tech docs either reeled them in for the sale or they
decided that it wasn't quite what they wanted. This is the ideal and may be so
in your case -wait and see.

Then there's the other type of marketing person who aim is to sell, regardless as
to whether or not the product exists! At one job I was updating some marketing
lit (I knew the tool!) and when I showed the list of features to the senior
developer it was -we have those, those will be in 6 months time and those (long
list) we won't have in a month of Sundays. If this is the situation you find
yourself in there are two options - treat is simply as a job and take the money,
after all, who pays the ferryman calls the tune, or as some have suggested,
update the CV and start looking around.

However, I'd give it a chance to see how it goes - you may be pleasantly
surprised.

Damien Braniff
--
Damien Braniff