Re: Embeded fonts in PDF

Subject: Re: Embeded fonts in PDF
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: cdavidso -at- ionline -dot- net
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:50:36 +0200

Carolyn (and others),

there are several places where things can go wrong. The one which is easiest to check is to see if the "use local fonts" option is activated or deactivated in the Acrobat viewer.

The most likely problem might be that the fonts did not really get embedded. I assume that you are using the newest AdobePS printer driver for creating PostScript files which you then process with Distiller.

There are two places where you have to specify that you want all fonts to be embedded: in the PostScript printer driver, and then again in the job options of Distiller. In order to find the right place in the printer driver, you might have to dig around a bit in the options. The location of the Distiller Job Options should, on the other hand, be clear.

Now, TrueType fonts can be embedded, but there is one problem. They do have some flags built in by their publisher which control the embedability. Acrobat 4 is now respecting these flags (however, there was a bug in Acrobat 4.0 which did respect the flags in a very restrictive manner (allow embedding only when explicitely allowed). This caused problems with fonts which did not have any of these flag settings. Distiller 4.05 now does a less restrictive interpretation of the flags (no embedding when embedding is forbidden).

So, if you can not embed the TrueType fonts, you might contact their publishers and ask them to at least allow embedding with subsetting on (which does only embed the characters actually used, and never the whole character set). However, this makes it impossible to do last-second modifications using tools like PitStop.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

______________________

I am in a similar boat, with perhaps less knowledge and experience than
David. I'm creating sales fact sheets in Word 97, based on a Word
template that uses Tahoma for body text and ZurichBlkExBT for headings.
We want to provide an electronic file (Word or PDF) to our sales staff,
and let them print out small quantities of the fact sheet onto
letterhead, as they need them.

I found a message in the archives from Emru which reads in part:

1) Always use Adobe Type 1 fonts.

I believe that the two fonts I'm using are True Type fonts. Does anyone
know if these fonts (Tahoma and ZurichBlkExBT) are available as Adobe
Type 1 fonts? It's early in our sales season, but I'd still hate to have
to redesign the documents at this stage.