Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly

Subject: Re: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:29:29 -0500

I had an interview with a marketing type once that went kind of like this:

Him: "What would you do if I gave you some information about our product that you knew wasn't true but I wanted you to put it in our materials because our competition has these features and we want to tell people we have them too?"

Me: "I'd check and make sure we really don't have those features... maybe they were recently added or are coming soon and I just don't know about it yet."

Him: "So I'd tell you we don't have them at all and I don't know if or when we will."

Me: "Then I'd ask you if you *really* want that information included, since it's not accurate."

Him: "And I'd say yep, I still want it in there."

Me: "Then I'd put it in there, because you're the boss and you sign the checks, but I'd stop contributing to my 401(k) and I'd start polishing my resume, because I don't know how long we're going to be in business if that's how we do things."

He said that was exactly what he wanted to hear. All marketing types are not weasels, just as all TWs are not Tinas.

I agree with whoever it was who said Marketing's involvement (or any other department's involvement, for that matter) should not be limited to approval at the end... if they're providing input, they should be included throughout the development process instead of having the completed project presented to them for sign-off. That's what we'd want if the shoe were on the other foot, wouldn't we?

(BTW, this isn't really directed at the original poster... for all we know, her marketing person *is* an incorrigible weasel).

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okvotech.org/cimc

>>> Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com> 09/14/00 09:58AM >>>
At one job I was updating some marketing
lit (I knew the tool!) and when I showed the list of features to the senior
developer it was -we have those, those will be in 6 months time and those (long
list) we won't have in a month of Sundays. If this is the situation you find
yourself in there are two options - treat is simply as a job and take the money,
after all, who pays the ferryman calls the tune, or as some have suggested,
update the CV and start looking around.