Re: Screen captures in .GIF format or .JPG format

Subject: Re: Screen captures in .GIF format or .JPG format
From: chasity mcwilliams <chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu>
To: Bill Hartzer <BHartzer -at- cha-systems -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:46:55 -0600

It depends on who you are designing for. If you know that
your audience is going to use browsers that won't support
the PNG format, go with GIF. Usually Screen captures are

less than 256 colors and this is perfect for gif. Also,
I'm sure that someone else has probably mentioned that
JPEG's have a lossy format so there is a lot of blurring.

If on the other hand, your audience will be using newer
browsers (right now all of our stuff is done for 4.X and
lower mainly netscape but a few IE's) then, you should
definitely take advantage of the PNG format.

A good place for you to look would be the WWW3 consortium.
They set the standards for what is used on the web.

chas

"You're not dying, you just can't think of anything
good to do."
-Ferris B.

chasity mcwilliams
chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu