Libelous Email

Subject: Libelous Email
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- mailandnews -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:23:31 -0500

> Including possible libel issues for those who do not think before they =
> press the SEND button?

This is a very interesting question...the Internet and Email are revising a
lot of traditional notions of ownership and personal rights.

Email, in particular, has elements of a personal letter or note and the
business memo. Personally, I don't see how something written in an email can
be considered libilous - especially one that can be equated to a personal
letter with a specific recipient.; however, one of the major indictments of
MS came when the DOJ investigated the Emails of the upper management.

I would also imagine that a lot depends on the number of people who received
the letter and the context in which they received it. However, you would
have to discuss this with a lawyer to explore your possibility...

Perhaps you could submit it to Eric for the "Ask the Laywer" column on the