Word templates, fields, macros and auto-text

Subject: Word templates, fields, macros and auto-text
From: "Cayenne Woods"<cwoods -at- purplevoice -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:27:46 GMT

I'm creating templates, and want several fields to auto-update (author, creation
date, last-save date, file name and path).

There seem to be several ways to do most of these, but with varying results. Can
anybody either a) point me to some tutorials or online descriptions of how these
work or b) briefly fill me in. Some of the problems I'm having is that the
last-saved date won't update (reads 00/00/0000) and that I want to have control
over what text actually shows (ie, not show 'created by' but have the content.

I can use auto-text, or record a macro that adds auto-text, but I'm not sure
what this actually does, since the macro doesn't seem to be saved in the macro
list.

Using the Insert field command is more consistent, but the last-saved date
doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Also, is there any way to tell from the open template how the entry was done,
whether via auto-text or field entry? Once I've done it, I'm not sure which
way's working. Course I can just pay attention and be more methodical, but would
like to be able to tell how it was done.

any help appreciated
Cayenne

This communication contains information which is confidential
and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s). Please note that any distribution, copying
or use of this communication, or the information in it, is strictly
please notify us by email or by telephone (+44 20 8848 6644)
and then delete the email and any copies of it.

This communication is from Purple Voice Ltd., whose principal
office is at Dawley Road, Hayes, Middlesex, England.

checked for the presence of computer viruses.