Re: Font choices

Subject: Re: Font choices
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:07:50 -0500

Wisdom from Dick Margulis:

> Michele Davis wrote:
>
> ... some amusing stuff that I've snipped (but Michele, what about the
kitchen?), and then she wrote:

> There are certain fonts that kick and some that totally don't, and man
Times is a font that certainly doesn't kick.

> I absolutely agree. And I could add that Garamond doesn't kick, either.
Especially the wan version Microshaft distributes. But Times New Roman has
its uses, especially if you are a newspaper publisher printing from
stereotypes. ("Times" is to Times New Roman, by the way, as store brand
vanilla is to whatever it was you were touting there. Times New Roman, if
you've ever seen the original, does kick in its own subtle way.)

If you want a see a variation of Times New Roman that kicks, find a copy of
Tom's New Roman.

BTW Dick, I fully appreciate what you say about different fonts for
different needs. My first presumption here is that we're talking about
technical documentation. Of course that still encompasses a wide range of
possibilities. I'm took that into account when I asked my question, and I
was expecting a range of answers that fit different possibilities...not a
"one-size-fits-all" solution. I have my own favorites as well, but many of
them would be totally out of place on a technical document.

David Berg