Re: Index on a web-based help system?

Subject: Re: Index on a web-based help system?
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:36:57 -0500

> And congratulations. So few Web designers have clued in to the notion that
> true, professionally done index beats a full-text search engine every
time.

> --Geoff Hart, FERIC, Pointe-Claire, Quebec
> geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

I wouldn't say "every time." Different people prefer different ways to look
stuff up, and that can vary from site to site.

I prefer the school of thought that a good web designer takes into account
the variety of preferences that their site visitors might have. Offer them
an index, a search engine, a site map, or whatever tool will help them find
what they want the quickest.

This sort of thing was discussed awhile back in Alertbox.com. the basic idea
is that users have a variety of preferences, but the one thing they have in
common is that they want to find things quickly.

David Berg