Re: Writing Simple English for International Audiences

Subject: Re: Writing Simple English for International Audiences
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:23:23 -0600

A friend who works for an international geophysical data processing company
wants to know
"Are there any published standards for writing documentation using
a minimal set of English words? My interest is simple English, best
suited for
non-native English readers. I think such a standard would be
incredibly useful."

I've searched the periodical area of the STC website for the terms
international, minimal,
simplified, global, native, and English with some success.
Any other suggestions?

You may also want to search on "controlled English" as well. The agricultural technology industry has done a lot of work with controlled English, and a number of standards have evolved, due in part to the efforts of companies like Caterpillar.

Bill Burns
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459
Senior Technical Consultant
Scriptorium Publishing Services, Inc. - http://www.scriptorium.com