Re: Libelous Email

Subject: Re: Libelous Email
From: Barry Kieffer <bkieffer -at- ims -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:27:50 -0700 (PDT)

The very thought that you can be held liable or accountable for email is
preposterous.

When I took UNIX courses at a community college in Oregon, the instructor, as a
"treat", showed all of his students how to spoof a email address.

You can send an email that the "average" non-technical person could not tell the real
origin or real sender. We learned how to do this sitting at an X-terminal without any
hacker tools or special software.

We were also sternly warned about the implications of perpetrating a known fraud.

So as it turns out, it is cool to know how to do stuff, cool to know that the systems
we take for granted are in no way secure, and cool to know if you do this stuff you
just might end up in a small concrete room "making friends" with a guy named Skeeter.

Have a great weekend.

Barry "Non-Spoofing" Kieffer