Kaizen: any war stories?

Subject: Kaizen: any war stories?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:40:42 -0400

Our ordinarily peerless management was recently infected by the
"pointy-haired manager" virus, and before we could isolate them and let the
fever burn itself out, they managed to jump on a bandwagon known as
"Kaizen". The basic notion doesn't appear to be particularly different from
any of several other quality-improvement religions (e.g., TQM, continuous
improvement): it dismisses all the competing approaches, cloaked itself in
the usual religious fervor, and invents its own important-sounding,
consultant-enriching jargon. (Can you tell I'm skeptical of management
consultants?)

I _do_ trust our managers to exercise basic common sense rather than blindly
following yet another of the trends du jour that have increasingly afflicted
business for the past few decades, but before we enter into this brave new
adventure, I'd love to hear from others about their experiences with this
process. Opinions? War stories? Cautionary tales?

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer