RE: FU word implication

Subject: RE: FU word implication
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:09:37 -0400

Megan Rock said:
> I would agree with this. I think that if the woman worked from home, she
> would tell Regis, "I work from home as a [fill in the blank]." Or "I work
> part-time from home as a [fill in the blank]."

I would treat this as a "what" rather than a "where." While it might be
interesting, the location of the office shouldn't moderate the occupation in
this context, and it isn't part of the question.

If it's that important, instead of "I work from home as a [fill in the
blank]," try "I am a freelance [fill in the blank]" or "I telecommute to my
job as a [fill in the blank]."

Getting back to the original question, what if she works at home but doesn't
have any children? She'd be a "stay-at-home house sitter"?

To me, "stay-at-home" is a adjective contrived to distinguish 24/7 moms from
"working" moms (another loaded term). In that respect, the definition is
clear.

Cheers ... Kim