E-mail spoofin'

Subject: E-mail spoofin'
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:51:57 -0700 (PDT)

"Barry Kieffer" wrote in message...

> When I took UNIX courses at a community college in Oregon, the instructor, as
> "treat", showed all of his students how to spoof a email address.

You would be amazed how easy it is to forge emails, newsgroup postings, even
messages to good old TECHWR-L. :-)

Spoofing email addresses is sooooooo easy. When I started writing docs about
network security for Network ICE, I assumed most of that stuff was somewhat
difficult and therefore only real hardcore nerds knew how to do it. Now I know
better. Just last night some butthead tried to corrupt my DNS cache after
lifting my home IP address from a Quake III server.

The jury is still out on a lot of Internet communications and the
copyright/libel thing. The one thing to keep in mind is that if you send an
email from your company, the company "owns" that message and can use it against
you. I recently let a recruiter go because he never met his sales quotas.
After he left I discovered megabytes worth of inappropriate emails he had sent
via our mail server. When he pissed an whined about being fired, I showed him
a log of the thousands of messages he sent and he slithered away. So be
careful what you send from work. Your boss can filter it and use it against
you.

So be careful and surf for porn at home.

Andrew Plato

http://mail.yahoo.com/