Re: FU word implication [how CAN you take this seriously?]

Subject: Re: FU word implication [how CAN you take this seriously?]
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:54:38 -0700

When I was a stay-at-home mom, it meant I didn't work outside the home. It was invented because of the implication that women who did not have an outside job weren't working. That's where it started.

Now you can tell me what the term means now.

Marilynne <who finally went "back to work" - another old fashioned term for a woman who put her career aside while raising children and now has decided to join the workforce again. - don't jump on me, that's what it meant>

At 03:01 PM 9/15/00 -0500, Jo Francis Byrd wrote:

I've long had a pet peeve: I'll be behind some woman (sometimes with small
children in tow) in the checkout line at the grocery store, or wherever. She's
writing a check, hands it to the checkout clerk who promptly asks, "What is your
work phone?" and the woman answers, "I don't work." I always have to resist the
temptation to shake the woman and yell, "OF COURSE YOU WORK!!! You take care of
the house, of the yard, of the children...that's WORK!!!"

"Stay-at-home" moms probably work harder than any of us.

Jo Byrd who was a non-stay-at-home working mom.

Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM
marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com