Re: Average sentence length?

Subject: Re: Average sentence length?
From: joe_luddite -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:27:38

I am not sure whether this factoid - the average
sentence length has grown smaller over the years - is
based on scientific fact or casual observation, but I
would tend to think that in the case where we want to
communicate information to our audience as efficiently
and completely as possible, we would want to use a
greater amount shorter sentences, allowing us to chunk
and sort the information we are presenting to our
audience as appropriately as possible, barring any
unavoidable exceptions to the rule which would cause
us to write lengthier sentences to either explain a
complex idea or concept, or to envelop the essence of
time to subjectively present the essence of the
passing of time such that the reader is pulled into
the excessive verbage and experiences first-hand the
dread which we writers refer to as the run-on
sentence, for as you know there is nothing worse than
a sentence that just keeps going and going without
saying much of anything at all, except repeated
messages that have long since lost their meaning in
the beginning of the sentence where an original
concept was born though lost over time due to a vast
amount of following information not necessarily
related to the topic at hand, which is of no real
fault of the writer, but rather the fault of modern
society, which demands a cut-throat workforce and
tight deadlines, thus forcing the writer to enjoy very
little sleep and an unhealthy high dose of caffeine to
just make it to the end of the week when, upon
grabbing the pay check that dictates the writer's
existene, the writer returns home to buy groceries,
play with the kids and pay the bills, only to then
flop on the sofa at 10 at night on Sunday, too
exhausted to go up to bed, and dreading the breaking
morning when the whole cycle repeats itself again.
Damn, was that a period? ;)