Advice needed: What's the best color laser printer to buy?

Subject: Advice needed: What's the best color laser printer to buy?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:51:57 -0400

We currently have an HP 8500 and an HP 4500. Demand on them is
increasing as the company grows, and we're going to be in the market for
an additional resource.

If someone handed you $10,000 (plus or minus) to buy your next color
laser printer for general business production (marketing brochures,
proposals, training workbooks), what would you get?

I'd like a faster machine than the 8500 as long as the quality is at
least as good (doesn't have to be superfast--if the runs get that long,
we'll go to offset). I'd also like a machine that allows for some fine
adjustment (something HP apparently doesn't believe in), that can handle
a range of paper stocks (something the 8500 is good at), and that
provides good status and diagnostic information on the display panel.

One other feature I'd really appreciate: a delivery stacker that can
hold as much paper as the high-capacity feeder holds (duh!).

So, folks, if you had your druthers, what would you buy? Any particular
brands to look at? Any particular ones to avoid?

Thanks for your input!