file formats - photos in Quark

Subject: file formats - photos in Quark
From: Suzanne Pyle <comline -at- greennet -dot- net>
To: Techwr-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 10:37:56 -0400

I'm doing layout for a magazine in Quark on the PC, and wanted to take
Photoshop files, which are quite huge, and bring them down to a
reasonable size/format. So I've discovered that .JPG seems to work,
whereas .BMP is still rather large. And .EPS format is very large too,
and for some reason Quark doesn't read it. My question for the Quark
layout gurus today is in your experience, has the .JPG format worked
well in terms of print quality (this isn't for the Web--but going to a
printer)? My photos are anywhere from 2 x3 to 5 x 7.

What are the pros and cons about .JPG in general?

thanks,

Suzanne