Re: Usability Testing of Web Sites

Subject: Re: Usability Testing of Web Sites
From: helen cygnarowicz <bigh -at- slip -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:58:06 -0700

My company has recently gone through a Web site revamp and
believe me, ALL of us in Sales and Marketing and Operations
and even the Executives are testing the site for
functionality, usefulness, and usability. We are probably
driving our Web developer crazy, but we are trying to create
a site that is easy to navigate and gets the user where the
user wants to go as painlessly as possible.

This is not an easy job, as sometimes compromise is not
possible. The developer makes very good points about why we
should reconsider what we want to do, so we go back and hash
it out and make sure we are getting what is needed, not what
is artsy-craftsy or pretty or flashy.

Our new site will be pretty basic and very functional. I
will be at long last able to take pride in our site. The
design and usability won't be the center of the bull's eye,
but it will be in the bull's eye somewhere. And that will be
good enough for now.

The bottom line, of course, will be whether it increases
sales. If it does, we did the right things. If it doesn't,
we will start again. I am looking forward to our site going
live. It's such an incredible improvement over what we have
now, because the first site probably was never tested for
usefulness or usability. Wish us luck!