RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly OR Marketing inp ut isn't always a bad thing

Subject: RE: Please send alcoholic beverages. . . quickly OR Marketing inp ut isn't always a bad thing
From: John Garison x407 <jgarison -at- ide -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:43:28 -0400

I know I'm coming in late on this topic, and I admit I haven't read all the
replies, BUT ... I have to put in my 2¢ worth anyway:

Listen to the marketing guy. Ask about their "spin". See if it makes sense -
DON'T dismiss it out of hand.

I recently was the project leader for a new software product my company
developed. I shepherded it through design and development, oversaw the doc
writing ... and when I demoed it to the marketing team, they loved what they
saw - and immediately started talking about ways that it could be used -
ways that I had never thought of, and ways that were very useful!

Bottom line: I wished I had demoed it to them sooner because some of their
usage scenarios were better than the ones I and the developers had
considered. Had I gotten their input sooner, it would have improved the
documents.

John Garison
Documentation Manager
IDe, Inc.
150 Baker Avenue Extension
Concord, MA 01742

jgarison -at- ide -dot- com <mailto:jgarison -at- ide -dot- com>
Voice: 978-402-2907
Fax: 978-318-9376