Re: Tracking the Effectiveness of Ads

Subject: Re: Tracking the Effectiveness of Ads
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:53:45 -0700

First, my thanks to the half dozen or so people who responded to
my original post on this subject. I'm still sifting through the
leads everybody gave me, but they look useful.

Second, has anyone on the list done business with a clipping
service? If so, did you feel that the results made the
arrangement worthwhile? I'm a little dubious about the value of
the sevice for a couple of reasons:

- the company whose campaign I'm orchestrating is in a very
specialized field (Linux). The CEO and I should notice most of
the coverage generated by the campaign, while the chairman has
connections who would inform him of many of the stories that are
likely to emerge. Moreover, unless the service has some knowledge
of our field, I wonder how it could do a better job of analysis
than the company.

- To some extent, web searches can quickly give lead to at least
some of the coverage.

Of course, a clipping service probably has more statistical
expertise. But, still, the question remains: is it worth dealing
with one?

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Tonight in a room full of candles,
Another cup of madness drains away,
And at times it gets so hard to handle
Knowing one more simple song has swiftly taken wing,
And I'm left alone to hear the song a lonely candle sings."
- Stan Rogers, "Song of the Candle"