Desktop publishing software?

Subject: Desktop publishing software?
From: Helen Thackray <HThackray -at- uniwell -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:45:56 +0100

Hi everyone

I am fairly new to technical writing and have moved into it from the support
department. My company have never had a full time writer before and
previously manuals have been cobbled together in Word by the programmers and
the support department (you know the story I'm sure). After having had
success writing help files for our software I am now looking to improve our
manuals and produce more professional looking documents. Does anyone have
any advise on which desktop publishing software to buy? We produce
operation manuals of about 60 to 200 pages containing a lot of screen shots,
diagrams and tables. Due to ever looming deadlines I need a package that
isn't too difficult to learn, although I am fluent in Word and Forehelp I
have never used any desktop publishing software before.

Any advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Helen Thackray