Re: Desktop publishing software?

Subject: Re: Desktop publishing software?
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: Helen Thackray <HThackray -at- uniwell -dot- co -dot- uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:53:41 +0200

Helen,

the most important piece of software is essentially "wetware" and located between your ears...

But when it comes to tools, my recommendation would go to Framemaker, which is kind of the tool of the trade in the Tech Writer scene. Then, as you have a lot of screenshots, you also should get Photoshop which is also the industrial strenght tool for image processing (and as you are just making your shopping list, also get Illustrator for vector graphics...).

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

______________________

I am fairly new to technical writing and have moved into it from the support
department. My company have never had a full time writer before and
previously manuals have been cobbled together in Word by the programmers and
the support department (you know the story I'm sure). After having had
success writing help files for our software I am now looking to improve our
manuals and produce more professional looking documents. Does anyone have
any advise on which desktop publishing software to buy? We produce
operation manuals of about 60 to 200 pages containing a lot of screen shots,
diagrams and tables. Due to ever looming deadlines I need a package that
isn't too difficult to learn, although I am fluent in Word and Forehelp I
have never used any desktop publishing software before.