RE: Web access to a MS Access Database

Subject: RE: Web access to a MS Access Database
From: "Jeroen Dekker" <jeroen -at- square1 -dot- nl>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:54:18 +0200

Joan Nolan wrote on Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:55:10 -0500:

> We have an existing MS Access database that we need to allow other users
> access with a browser as read only. Does anyone have knowledge on how we
can
> accomplish this? Thanks,
>
> Joan E Nolan
> Technical Writer
> Network Services
> 630-971-4813
> joan -dot- nolan -at- acxiom -dot- com

Building such a web application to access a database is often done with what
is called ODBC-software. Don't ask me how it works, but Yahoo! (query on
ODBC) or others on this list can help you there. What you then still need is
a process to display the Access reports on-screen through the user's
browser.

After a user's query, MS Access generally compiles a report that is sent to
the computer screen or to the printer. By setting up a PostScript printer
driver to print the reports 'to file', a PostScript file is generated. If
these reports are all text-based, you can then use Acrobat Distiller to turn
the PostScript into PDF's for online viewing.

If your reports tend to be graphics-oriented, companies often use our
commercial software to convert the PostScript reports on-the-fly to GIF for
read-only online viewing. It is a batch utility that is easily integrated
into such a web application. Examples where this process has been
implemented are medical charts and financial charts (which also may include
text). We also support export formats such as WMF, FrameMaker MIF, TIFF,
CGM, so that your users can choose to receive the same reports for
use/display in other platforms (such as MS Word documents).

Hope this helps. If the ps2gif part sounds like something you can use, you
can contact me off-list or check us out at http://www.square1.nl/index.htm

Cheers,

Jeroen Dekker
--