BECOMING OT: RE: Tech writers in India (was Re: Need urgent help)

Subject: BECOMING OT: RE: Tech writers in India (was Re: Need urgent help)
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: 'Jane Bergen' <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:13:57 -0400

I have to throw in my .02 here. I went back to India in October for my
older brother's wedding. Being an Indian by birth, and raised here in the
US since the age of 3, I've sometimes wondered what it would be like to live
and work back in India.

After my return to the States after my trip to India, I did some job
searching, ok, quite a BIT of job searching, boy, was I in for cultureshock.
Even with 10 years' experience as a TW and in various
computer/medical/legal/scientific fields, I was unable to find a position in
India as a TW. It seems MNCs (multi-national corporations) weren't even
willing to entertain the notion of hiring a person for a TW job IN India.
The mass exodus FROM India TO the US is overwhelming.

I was wondering recently if there is a survey of returning natives to their
land of their birth to work and live as TWs? I've seen the numbers of
immigrants TO the US to come to work, but has anyone seen anything about the
reverse?

<snip>
Jane Bergen wrote:
We used to have a list member who was ...it seemed... single-handedly
building a tech writer group in India. His name is Gurudutt Kamath, but
the web page I had for him is apparently not working and I have not seen
his name on the list for quite awhile. Whoa....I just found this...a list
of tech writing jobs in India. I don't know how current it is, but:
</snip>