Re: Document Conventions

Subject: Re: Document Conventions
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:09:40 -0500

Lisa,

Most of the times you're right about the document convention section being
unnecessary....BUT, it's also a courtesy to your readers. It not only
introduces them to the book, but it can tell them things to notice (like
the difference between a warning and a caution), and a general
hand-holding-feel-good if you are writing to an audience of novice users.
It certainly is a no-brainer to do, and yes many people do read it....just
depends upon the audience. So why not do it? Most of the time, you can
reuse a lot of this section from book to book.

A lot of people don't use a Table of Contents either. So should we pull it
out and just use an index (studies show more people use the index than the
contents)?

Jane Bergen