RE: Document Conventions

Subject: RE: Document Conventions
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:24:42 -0600

I have three parts to my Documentation Conventions:
-font use (useful in conjunction with the BNF section)
-icon use (mainly for completeness, but it is nice to distinguish what a
warning means instead of a caution, as well as defining what
platform-specific icons indicate)
-flavor of Backus-Naur Format (BNF) use

The most important is the BNF use. There are so many flavors in use in the
world that it is handy to choose one and document it. If I wasn't writing
API or command line tool documentation, the entire conventions section might
be optional.

One Techwr-l respondent states that she doesn't include a conventions
section because no one reads it.
If we always took that extreme position, we wouldn't write documentation,
because no one reads it :)

Walden Miller
Director
Vidiom Systems