Linking or Pasting Graphics

Subject: Linking or Pasting Graphics
From: Cronista -at- aol -dot- com
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:48:24 EDT

I used to paste graphics into a document once in a while. Mostly because it was the easiest thing to do.
But I found myself in deep yogurt too many times to continue with that practice.
I often work on a project that begins with a proposal, and if the proposal is successful, a whole batch of documents is spawned.
It is not rare to have seven or eight documents about a particular product. There are training guides, user's guides, maintenance manuals, etc., and often some documents are broken down by subsystem.
An important graphic changes. I make the change in one document. Now where in those other documents did I put that same graphic?
One of the nice things (there are too few) about FrameMaker is that usually I can double-click on a graphic to launch the program that created it. I make the change, save it, and hey! that graphic is now updated the next time any document referencing it is opened. Of course not every TW does a lot of his/her own illustrations. I do lots of screen shots (Paint Shop Pro), make lots of CorelDraw illustrations, and frequently grab the digital camera to make a shot of something difficult or time-consuming to draw.
A bit more: I DO keep cross-reference lists for illustrations. It is inconvenient and awkward at first, and I try to update the cross-reference once a week. But after the habit is developed, the cross-reference is a very valuable tool. For example it triggers me to issue a service bulletin sometimes when I see that the "new and improved" graphic is in a critical document. Another of the few good habits I have is to use illustration control numbers in my documents. I'll let someone else comment on that, because my time is up.
Charles Jay
Phoenix AZ