RE: Web access to a MS Access Database

Subject: RE: Web access to a MS Access Database
From: "Michael Little" <mlittle -at- inlogik -dot- com>
To: "'Jeroen Dekker'" <jeroen -at- square1 -dot- nl>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:34:08 +1000

You would need a scripting language such as PHP, or ASP to be able to
connect to the database by using an OBDC connect string. For an example on
how to do it, refer to the documentation at mysql.com ( it is a free
database, and a good baseline on how to connnect to a web database). I also
remember that TeraSoft ( that is Microsoft to the power of 18...) included
an utility in FrontPage that wrote the necessary connect scripts.

Joan Nolan wrote on Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:55:10 -0500:

> We have an existing MS Access database that we need to allow other users
> access with a browser as read only. Does anyone have knowledge on how we
can
> accomplish this? Thanks,
>
> Joan E Nolan
> Technical Writer
> Network Services
> 630-971-4813
> joan -dot- nolan -at- acxiom -dot- com

Building such a web application to access a database is often done with what
is called ODBC-software. Don't ask me how it works, but Yahoo! (query on
ODBC) or others on this list can help you there. What you then still need is
a process to display the Access reports on-screen through the user's
browser.