Re: Document Conventions

Subject: Re: Document Conventions
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Missy Phillips <dictionary_behage -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:00:42 -0700

Missy Phillips wrote:

> Hi Everyone, I'm new to the list, and I'm creating a user guide. What would
> I put in the Document Conventions section of the document? Can anyone help
> me with that?

Usually, this section explains the design and wording conventions
that you use. If you use different fonts for different purposes,
such as a monospaced font for a command, you might mention it
with an example. If you use "select" for choosing something with
a mouse, and "press" for typing, you might mention that.

As an aside, I'd like to mention that I always try to keep this
section as short as possible. That means I also try to use as few
design and wording conventions as possible. Maybe I'm just a lazy
reader, but, if I'm any example, I find too many conventions hard
to remember. Deciphering an entire legion of conventions is worth
than squinting at the symbols in a Michelin guide.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"But why ask questions now, and yet there's no denying
There's emptiness in heart and soul
When someone's been deceived."
- Eileen McGann, "Westminster Bridge"