RE: Tech writers in India (was Re: Need urgent help)

Subject: RE: Tech writers in India (was Re: Need urgent help)
From: Natarajan Prashant <Prashant -dot- Natarajan -at- sisl -dot- co -dot- in>
To: TECHWR-L digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:20:35 +0530

Hi Sanjay:

MNCs and local players in India hire tech writers and the available job
opportunities are plenty.

In fact, the main problem seems to be a lack of tech writers to fill
vacancies rather than a lack of jobs! A peek at the TWIN (a mailing list for
tech writers in India) archives will bear me out.

FYI, India has a full-fledged STC chapter (under Region 6) with
approximately 40 members. The STC-India chapter will conduct its second
annual tech writer's conference in Pune later this year. Check out
www.stc.org/region6/india for more details.

STC-India also publishes a award-winning, bimonthly newsletter titled INDUS.
All previous issues of INDUS are archived at
www.stc.org/region6/india/indus.htm.

Have a nice day,
Prashant

*********************************
Prashant Natarajan
Technical Writer
Siemens Information Systems Ltd.
Bangalore

Email: prashant -dot- natarajan -at- sisl -dot- co -dot- in
Direct: (080) 8091620
EPABX: (080) 8521122 Extn: 4620
Fax: (080) 8521337

> I have to throw in my .02 here. I went back to India in October for my
older
> brother's wedding. Being an Indian by birth, and raised here in the US
since
> the age of 3, I've sometimes wondered what it would be like to live and
work
> back in India.
>
> After my return to the States after my trip to India, I did some job
> searching, ok, quite a BIT of job searching, boy, was I in for
cultureshock.
> Even with 10 years' experience as a TW and in various
> computer/medical/legal/scientific fields, I was unable to find a position
in
> India as a TW. It seems MNCs (multi-national corporations) weren't even
> willing to entertain the notion of hiring a person for a TW job IN India.
The