FM 5.5: conditional text and German characters

Subject: FM 5.5: conditional text and German characters
From: kerstin -dot- molthagen -at- etas -dot- de
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:48:58 +0200

Hi all!

And a special hello to all who write German docs...

I have several similar manuals with three shared chapters and three to four
individual chapters each. Each manual has a separate book file. Today, I
introduced conditional text for the cross-references from the shared
chapters to the individual ones. As far as the English versions are
concerned, everything works fine. However, a strange problem turned up for
the German manuals.

I included the various conditional cross-references in the shared files,
selected the proper condition tag for the version I wanted to create, and
printed the book to Acrobat Distiller.
When I had a look at the resulting PDF, I found out that wherever I use
italic font (Frutiger 45, italic, various sizes, not bolded), the German
character 'ß' - sz - is not printed where it's supposed to appear in the
word, but directly upon the previous letter. 'Größe' (size), e.g., looks
like 'Grß e' - with the 'ö' (oe) below the 'ß'. In the normal text
passages, everything's fine. Stragne, isn't it?

Has anybody had the same problem, and maybe found a solution?

Ciao,
Kerstin