RE: Online help/formats?

Subject: RE: Online help/formats?
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: <edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:18:27 -0700

edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

| While HTMLhelp uses MS's own brand/flavour of HTML and runs using
| IE's browser
| engine, I don't believe you need IE on your computer to run it.

This is not correct. In order to run HTML Help, you absolutely must have a
32-bit Windows computer with at least a minimum install of Internet Explorer
3.02 or later (4.0 or later for full functionality). You do not need to use
IE as your default browser. However, HTML Help uses the Internet Explorer
layout engine to display topics, and if IE is not installed, it is not
possible to run a .chm file.

| The HTMLhelp
| workshop that I downloaded from MS's website has instructions on how to
| distribute and install the minimum required to run HTMLhelp.

Those instructions are probably for performing a minimum install of Internet
Explorer. Or maybe you are referring to HHUPD.EXE, which installs the HTML
Help system components ON TOP OF an existing install of IE.

HTH ..

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415.550.8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Member, RoboHELP Community Advisory Board
Co-moderator, HATT list (http://www.egroups.com/group/hatt)