RE: Online help/formats?

Subject: RE: Online help/formats?
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:56:53 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Hart, Geoff [mailto:Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 9:55 AM
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: Online help/formats?

Andriene Ferguson currently uses <<...RoboHelp Classic to prepare our online
help in winhelp format. We are thinking of switching to another format, such
as HTML help or Webhelp.>>

Whenever you contemplate such a change, always ask yourself three questions:
Are our customers asking us to change? What problem are we trying to solve?
What usability improvements would be possible by adopting a new format?

<snip>

The other question to ask is: How will the documentation be delivered?

We write for both desktop and Web apps, and therefore we use all three
flavours, depending upon the situation. Mr. Hart's comments regarding
HTMLHelp's integration with IE are worth considering. We're fortunate in
that IE is a requirement for our desktop products, so it's not a concern.
We've been very happy with the flexibility and light-weight nature of
WebHelp. Again, because we have pretty high minimum browser requirements for
our Web apps, we don't have to worry about backward compatibility issues. My
two cents. DB.