RE: Tech writers in India (was Re: Need urgent help)

Subject: RE: Tech writers in India (was Re: Need urgent help)
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:56:46 -0700 (PDT)

> --- Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com> wrote:
> not as easily said as done. I don't tell them right up front, but
> eventually the numbers come up, and then bam, they're no longer
> interested.

There's an old rule in negotiations that I've had to learn the hard
way, but this rule works so well that if you're disciplined enough to
use it, you'll be better able to get what you want. (But do remember
that in negotiation there has to be give and take on both sides.)

"Whoever mentions money first, loses the advantage."

Recruiters, employers, and contract hiring authorities always want you
to be the first to mention money. You have to turn it around. "What is
your budget?" "What is the pay range for the position you want to
fill?" These are two questions that can turn the original question back
on the questioner. I'm no longer afraid to use that question. If they
low ball me, I can evaluate that information with the rest of it, and I
might be less interested in their job.

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer