RE: need to compile a wish list

Subject: RE: need to compile a wish list
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:16:01 -0400

Hallo:

Skip the ZIP drive. Get a CD-RW instead. A SCSI one. Everybody has a CD-ROM
drive, not everyone has a ZIP drive. Thus, CDs are easier to share.

Folks, like myself, who prefer WebWorks Publisher with FrameMaker prefer it
because it is better integrated with FrameMaker than RoboHelp. For
single-source publishing, FrameMaker + WebWorks Publisher Professional
cannot be beaten . . . (within reason, sure, there *might* possibly be an
enterprise-level solution involving a database and XML available for
1-year's investment of time and a quarter of a million bucks . . . ;?).

Folks, unlike myself, who prefer RoboHelp seem to do so because it is
extremely popular, because as a pure help tool, it is excellent, and because
they often use Microsoft Word, which works better with RoboHelp than
FrameMaker. For pure help creation, or if you have a lot of writers,
RoboHelp might be the tool for you . . . but not for me with limited
resources and my single-sourcing requirement <g>.

Also, get a good, solid, stable 2D video card. My Matrox G400 Max is
wonderful (better, IMHO, than the G450 that replaces it). Also, invest in
the largest and best monitor you can get, at least 21-inches, flat-screen,
and flicker-free.

A scanner adds some nice input options that you might on occasion use . . .
I don't have one at work but have had one at home for six or more years . .
. consider SCSI here, too.

If I think of anything else, I'll post.

Best regards,

Sean