Re: Learning UNIX

Subject: Re: Learning UNIX
From: Crescent Enterprise <cres -at- cres -dot- com>
To: Alicia Robinson <AROBINSO -at- altera -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:30:10 -0400 (EDT)

Alicia,

You're a brave soul with the right instincts, but if you spend money for
one of the Linux offerings you'll end up wasting money unless you get some
help. A lot of help. Installing and configuring these Linux packages seems
to overchallenge even many long-time Unix users. I'm one of them.

If you need to come up to speed on Unix commands, rather than the arcana
of OS configuration, I'd suggest finding a Unix introductory class at a
local college. It's fun, you'll meet interesting people, and you'll
greatly increase your value to the company. A class that gets into a
little system administration would be ideal. The class I took a while back
at the University of Maryland provided everybody with an account on one of
the campus servers. I was applying stuff I learned in the class to my
work in less than a month.

Good for you.

Steve Whitney
Takoma Park, MD