Re: Learning UNIX

Subject: Re: Learning UNIX
From: Eric Ray <ericjray -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Crescent Enterprise <cres -at- cres -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:52:15 -0700 (PDT)

> You're a brave soul with the right instincts, but if
> you spend money for
> one of the Linux offerings you'll end up wasting
> money unless you get some
> help. A lot of help. Installing and configuring
> these Linux packages seems
> to overchallenge even many long-time Unix users. I'm
> one of them.

The above is a bit of an overgeneralization, or
is based on older information. While it once
was true...

Using a recent Linux version (Mandrake 7.1
from www.mandrake.com is the most recent
that I've installed--last week) is quite
easy and straightforward. I'll freely grant that
I'm not a UNIX novice, but you can sail through
the installation with zero knowledge if you're
willing to read the information provided online
within the installation wizards. No arcane
commands, no system knowledge, and nothing but
mousing ability required.

Running Linux (or other unix flavors) at home
is undoubtedly the best way to come up to
speed, but using a free UNIX account isn't
bad either.

Most Linuxes (including Mandrake) make it
easy to dual boot Linux and Windows. Point
and click and you're done.

UNIX is one of those things that just cries
for a book to reference--there's way too much
arcane info to remember it all at once.
Either get a book about the particular version
you choose to use (or get the installation set
that includes some documentation), or buy
a generic UNIX book for the fundamentals.
Deborah and I wrote one, but many others exist
as well.

Good luck,
Eric

http://im.yahoo.com/