Re: Learning UNIX

Subject: Re: Learning UNIX
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: arobinso -at- altera -dot- com, techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:55:49 -0700

arobinso -at- altera -dot- com wrote:

> Thank you for all of your suggestions and encouragement!
> I already bought a UNIX book (The Complete Idiot's Guide to UNIX).
> I don't need to use UNIX at my current job, but I'd like to learn it
> anyway. One of our sys admins here said that he would not recommend
> installing both UNIX and Windows on one system. But he did say that he'll
> give me access to a UNIX machine at work. Problem solved!

I can't say that I've ever installed UNIX and Windows on the same
system, but Linux and Windows can co-exist without problem. In
fact, they do so on thousands - probably millions - of computers.
You can even use your Windows partitions from Linux; Windows,
unfortunately, is blind to Linux partitions, although you might
be able to find a third party piece of software to overcome this
limitation.

The only cautionary note is that you should install Windows
first. Windows has a nasty habit of disabling boot managers or
telling you stories about how other operating systems can't
co-exist with it. While you can step around these problems, it's
usually easier to avoid them altogether.

The handiest way to run more than one operating system from the
same machine is to use a boot manager. Other choices, such as
using boot disks, are possible, but awkward.

At least half a dozen boot managers exist. These handy little
programs allow you to choose which operating system to use when
you start your computer. Ones like LILO (Linux Loader) and GRUB
(Grand Unified Boot Manager) are free software, or you can go
with System Commander or the one that comes with PartitionMagic.
All of these are stable, and should cause you no problem during
operation. However, you'll probably want to install each
operating system on a separate partition, so a tool like
PartitionMagic is useful.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"But why ask questions now, and yet there's no denying
There's emptiness in heart and soul
When someone's been deceived."
- Eileen McGann, "Westminster Bridge"