Re: Learning UNIX

Subject: Re: Learning UNIX
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Crescent Enterprise <cres -at- cres -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:02:59 -0700

Crescent Enterprise wrote:

> You're a brave soul with the right instincts, but if you spend money for
> one of the Linux offerings you'll end up wasting money unless you get some
> help. A lot of help. Installing and configuring these Linux packages seems
> to overchallenge even many long-time Unix users. I'm one of them.

A few points:

1.) You don't need to spend any money for Linux. You can download
it for free from the Internet. If you pay, one of the things you
get is support.

2.) Most problems with Linux installs are with hardware
compatibility. The situation is improving rapidly, but it's still
true to say that less hardware is compatible with Linux than with
Windows. If you have hardware problems, they usually become
apparent early in the install. About the only problem that might
slip through is having a winmodem, which borrows code from a
Windows installation to run. For obvious reasons, a winmodem
won't work under Linux, although some can be properly detected.

3.) Almost all major distributions of Linux include a graphical
install. In many cases, you can install successfully by choosing
the defaults. I know of several distributions that can be
installed in well under half an hour, depening on what you
install and how fast your machine is.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"But why ask questions now, and yet there's no denying
There's emptiness in heart and soul
When someone's been deceived."
- Eileen McGann, "Westminster Bridge"