Re: Learning UNIX

Subject: Re: Learning UNIX
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:10:44 -0700

Sandy Harris wrote:

> Alicia Robinson wrote:
>
> > I'm a new tech writer and I want to install UNIX on my PC at home to learn
> > the operating system.
>
> It is possible to learn Unix from the online manuals. I did, but that was
> 20 years ago and quite painful.
>
> Read some books. I believe our list managers have written an introduction.
> I haven't read it. Mayhap others here can comment. If you're a programmer,
> Kernighan and Pike "The Unix Programming Environment" is essential. Anything
> from O'Reilly is usually good, especially for Unix. They started as a tiny
> publisher, specializing in Unix books.

Some more useful books:

- UNIX in Plain English (MIS Press): Like the dummy books, but
with a less insulting name.

- Linux in a Nutshell (O'Reilly): A stripped down, but very
complete guide to almost everything, including (in the recent
third edition), the different desktops.

- Running Linux (O'Reilly): a reasonably friendly guide that can
take you up to the intermediate level.

_ Learning Debian GNU/Linux and Learning Red Hat Linux
(O'Reilly): good guides to get you up and running.

Come to think of it, almost anything by O'Reilly and Associates
is worth looking at, even if the pages are less than aesthetic
wonders. But the cheap clipart has become a tradition now, so I
suppose we're stuck with it.

BTW, when I was at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention in
Monterey over the summer, I found out that Tim O'Reilly, the
president of O'Reilly, was originally a tech-writer. So there's
another career path for the ambitious: Open Source advocate and
editor-in-chief.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"But why ask questions now, and yet there's no denying
There's emptiness in heart and soul
When someone's been deceived."
- Eileen McGann, "Westminster Bridge"