Re: Manuals available for Downloading from Website

Subject: Re: Manuals available for Downloading from Website
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 06:53:42 -0700 (PDT)

--- Eadaoin O'Donnell <ead_ciara -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have created an Administrators Manual for an online application. I
> want to make this manual available for downloading from the website.
>
> What is my best option, create a PDF and make this available on the
> website? What is the maximum size file that I should put up? What is
> reasonable file size?

Not sure if what we do will meet your needs, but we provide a number of
Word documents that we compress into ZIP executables that users can
download and print. It works in our situation because everyone has Word
and can read online or print, as each person prefers. ZIPping also
allows you to create an archive of related documents that can be
downloaded in one pass.

If you don't want to do PDF for some reason, ZIP is an inexpensive
alternative. (The usual disclaimers apply, including the sad fact that
I make nothing out of my recommendation. However, donations are always welcome.<g>)

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems