Re: Learning UNIX

Subject: Re: Learning UNIX
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:58:59 -0500

Linux is currently the most popular Unix variant, but *BSD is probably the
best implementation of Unix. (This is, however, probably even more likely
to start a fight than Mac v. Windows, so I will not insist upon it, nor
will I suggest you say anything like the above in a room full of techies,
without a preplanned escape route.)

As for difficulty of installation: I downloaded Red Hat, burned a couple of
CD's, and loaded it on a Windows box. The hardest part was repartitioning
the Windows drive to gain space for RH. Once that was doen to my
satisfaction, the rest was fairly elementary; you shouldn't have any
difficulty with it. Grab a copy of Running Linux or something similar (I
had Linux In A Nutshell with me, but that's rather like using a dictionary
to learn English; excellent reference, lousy teaching tool) and keep it
handy to explain some of the installation screens you'll see. Or, simply
load up the docs and read them (novel concept, that) before starting out,
printing out some of the more salient pages for reference while installing.

Linux, etc., is not ready for the average user's desktop. But if you're
willing to approach it with a sane level of caution and preparation, it's
not that daunting. I've set the dual-boot box to default to Linux, it's a
better desktop security measure than the Windows password box.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224