Re: need to compile a wish list

Subject: Re: need to compile a wish list
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "puppy vaugn" <puppy_vaugn -at- moonman -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:30:26 -0500

Messages posted via the newsgroup are not distributed through the mailing
list. They stay in the newsgroup and only someone reading the newsgroup
can see them....at least this is the way a lot of newsgroups work.

As for your other questions: "being promoted to be the tech writer" (in
itself is a whole other can of worms) doesn't tell us what your job will
include, and we'd need to know that in order to suggest tools. For
example,

* What kind of documentation will you produce? Are you writing end-user
documents, policies and procedures, human resources guides, marketing
brochures, or what? You've got to have a pretty clear idea of where you
going or you may end up on a dead-end side street. Some tools do a better
job of one type of documents than another.

* How will you produce the documentation? Online? Paper? Help files? Do
you need a one-stop solution or can you get several tools? The tools you
listed are good, but it depends on your goals. You'll also need to do some
research to learn the limitations, as well as advantages, of these tools.

* Is your company willing to send you for training... either general tech
writing, online documentation, HTML, etc.?

You mentioned you have "no experience" so maybe you need to tell your boss
that he or she needs to give you a few days to get oriented to what lies
ahead...then read like crazy. There are lots of good web sites that have
articles for tech writers, but good books too. Just being good at writing
does not make one a good tech writer. If your boss has confidence you can
do it, then great. The promise must be there if others can see it. Start
here: http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/ for some good beginner advice.

Good luck,

Jane Bergen