RE: Building index files in Frame

Subject: RE: Building index files in Frame
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:51:48 -0400

Hallo:

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Lindgren [SMTP:Brian_Lindgren -at- hotmail -dot- com]

In most *word processing* type programs (or at least in Word and
WordPerfect), it is possible to build an index by developing a
concordance
file containing all the words you'd like to appear in the index.
Generally,
I find the use of the concordance file more effective than going
through the
documents and flagging/marking the terms that need to appear.

I strongly disagree, though I suppose it's a case of horses for courses, or
something like that <vbg>. I have found that concordance files result in
very frustrating indexes, especially compared to an index that was lovingly
and thoughtfully crafted by hand.

From what I've been able to determine, there is nothing like a
concordance
file in Frame, but the only way is to manually flag all the would-be
terms.

Your determinations are correct.

However, there is a third-party product that will do what you want. It's
called IXgen and is available from Frank Stearns Associates:
http://home.pacifier.com/~franks/. I use and recommend this product.

Am I correct in this assessment, or can someone help guide me?

Thanks,
Brian

Best regards,

Sean