RE: Building index files in Frame

Subject: RE: Building index files in Frame
From: "Smith, Martin" <martin -dot- smith -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:07:34 -0600

This is fairly easy to do in FrameScript. I have written a script that reads
an input file containing a list of words, searches all chapters in the book
for each word in the list, and automatically inserts an index marker when it
finds a match. I use this script to insert index entries for the thousands
of variables that I need to document in our firmware manuals. FrameScript is
an easy language to work with and provides complete access to the
object-oriented data structures used to represent FrameMaker documents.
FrameScript is available for both Macintosh and Windows computers.

I have no affiliation with the product, aside from being a very satisfied
customer.

Martin

------------------------------
In most *word processing* type programs (or at least in Word and
WordPerfect), it is possible to build an index by developing a concordance
file containing all the words you'd like to appear in the index. Generally,
I find the use of the concordance file more effective than going through the
documents and flagging/marking the terms that need to appear.

From what I've been able to determine, there is nothing like a concordance
file in Frame, but the only way is to manually flag all the would-be index
terms.

Am I correct in this assessment, or can someone help guide me?

Thanks,
Brian