RE: Document Management Systems

Subject: RE: Document Management Systems
From: "Susan Ahrenhold" <sahrenhold -at- winspc -dot- com>
To: "'Stephen C. Gillespie'" <sgillespie -at- fedex -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:48:55 -0400

Can anyone recommend a scalable, 'works with FrameMaker' document/content
management system, that WON'T cost a small fortune?

We already got burned for a couple grand on the (now obsolete)
"AuthorAssistant" software, formerly by Tier2 ... it simply would never
allow us to check in referenced graphics!

FedEx already uses Documentum (in the Frame+SGML part of the company), but
seems to be overkill, and we're leary of any such 'enterprise-wide' sys that
we don't/won't have much local control over.

In most of the places I've produced documentation, we simply use the tool
that the programmers use to control their software.

In the last six years, I've used PVCS, ClearCase, and now we're implementing
Visual SourceSafe.

You'll need to be sure that the versioning software works on the platforms
you need it on, but I know that PVCS and ClearCase both work just fine on
Unix and PCs.

One big advantage of using what the programmers do is that it brings
technical support so close to home.