RE: Sorting contents of cascading menus

Subject: RE: Sorting contents of cascading menus
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'John Posada'" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:11:15 -0400

John Posada needs to <<...capture, for a help app/document, the cascading
menu from Start -> Programs. For appearances, I'd like the items on the list
to appear in alpa order. In the back of my mind, I remember that there was a
setting to place in the Registry that made these menus appear in Alpha
sorted order. Am I on the right track?>>

There's probably a registry switch that will do this, but there's a much
easier way. Open the Start menu and Program submenu, then right-click on the
open submenu; towards the bottom of the popup menu this produces, you'll see
the choice "Sort by name". Select it, and Bob's your uncle.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer