RE: Manuals available for Downloading from Website

Subject: RE: Manuals available for Downloading from Website
From: "Keeley, Bill" <KeeleyB -at- wipp -dot- carlsbad -dot- nm -dot- us>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:35:30 -0600

Users of our knowledge transfer website <http://www.t2ed.com> download
thousands of manuals each year. We serve a diverse audience (businesses,
government agencies, educational institutions, non-profits, and
individuals), so, for most of our documents, we offer users the choice of
downloading in one or more of the following formats:

+ PC MSWord
+ PC WordPerfect
+ Mac MSWord
+ Adobe PDF

We save down to early versions (such as MSWord 95) so the majority of users
can access the documents. By far, PC MSWord is the most downloaded,
followed by Adobe PDF, PC WordPerfect, and Mac MSWord. Since we established
our knowledge transfer process in 1995, we have seen a steady decline in PC
WordPerfect and Mac MSWord requests, and a steady increase in PC MSWord and
Adobe PDF requests. Recently, we discontinued converting new documents to
Mac MSWord because of this decline and because Mac users were having an
easier time converting downloaded PC documents by themselves.

We try to reduce the size of our large documents as much as possible by
zipping them in an archive format. One package we offer is 1,200 pages
(6.5MB), but is archived for downloading at under 2MB. All platforms
recognize zip files, so there are no worries in that respect. Download
speed is everything on the Internet. If you offer large items for download
(3MB+), be prepared for a low volume of traffic. Internet users rarely
wait. The smaller, the better!

Bill Keeley
Westinghouse/WID
Carlsbad NM 88221
keeleyb -at- wipp -dot- carlsbad -dot- nm -dot- us